Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cut the Cord on Cable - Finally!

So I finally did it! I cut the cord on cable on November 21, 2012 .
Wednesday afternoon, the cable mn came and turned off the service. Now
I I now have a smaller bill. I have to keep the cable Internet
service on.

I picked up a HD antenna, a Roku media streaming player to go along
with my Apple TV.

So here is my set up: The living room has the Apple TV 2 connected to
my 50 inch TV and the bedroom has a 32 inch TV connected to the Roku
player.

Most of my content is streamed from services like Netflix, Hulu plus
or other Internet providers. My Panasonic home theater has a Blu-Ray
player as well as "Smart TV" streamed content. Also the Wii game
system has streamed content too. Push come to shove, I can stream
content from the content providers' web site via the iMac computer
that is connected to the 50" via AirPlay and/or a HDMI cable.

I download some movies and TV episodes and/or rent them from services
like Apple iTunes and Amazon. These files reside on my iMac, but are
steamed to both the Apple TV 2 and the RoKu XD. The Apple TV 2 is
Jailbroken and it is loaded with the Firecore ATV Flash Black media
streaming software. The Roku XD has the Plex channel which streams
from the iMac. Both do a great job categorizing the content with the
meta data pulled to apply the box art and appropriate movie or TV show
data. Even buying and downloading whole seasons of shows will be
cheaper annually than paying for cable television.

The Ruko XD has more content available than the Apple TV 2, even with
it Jailbroken. The Apple TV 2 has AirPlay, so it can receive streamed
content from my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 to the 50" HD TV; this is awesome
to have and is used more than I would have thought.

Local news and sporting events are viewed on the 32" HD TV via the RCA
ANT1450BR multi-directional amplified digital flat antenna.

We have enough content to keep us entertained. I was considering
subscribing to the streaming channels from PlayOn.tv at $20 a year,
but it requires a Windows PC to stream to the Roku and Wii devices.

The downside is that we can not pause live TV and we do not have a DVR
functionality.

Will it last? Or will go running back to the cable provider with my
cable between my legs? It is strange new world we live in where this
46 and his 36 year old wife is willing to cut the cable cord. Our 11
and 13 year old daughters are at a crossroad of conflicting
technologies. The content providers will have to start a more
aggressive approach to tackling this new demand for viewing content
away from the broadcasted mediums.

I will update you on our progression into the post-cable world of
nearly total dependence on the Internet for our viewing content.

Thanks,

Carl W. Brooks
Check out my iPad/iOS/Mac technology website
http://www.iamthereforeipad.com


Source : iamthereforeipad[dot]com

0 comments:

Post a Comment